Monday, November 23, 2009

So Grateful

With Thanksgiving only days away thoughts of food, cooking turkey, pies and potatoes fill our minds. We wonder how we can get everything done so we can just relax and enjoy some family time. Wonder, worry, wonder, worry,wonder, worry - I can't help but wonder if that is the point of such a holiday as Thanksgiving. I think not!
In my attempt to curb our thoughts to gratitude, I instructed our family at dinner that we would all get to share 10 things we are thankful for before dinner was over. The responses started with food, houses, candy, and many more material items, but quickly turned to a more sacred nature. Our faith, our world, each other!
As we look back to a year ago we have happy memories of a mini Gutierrez reunion with Thanksgiving at our house. Tree hunting the day after with part of the Frankman clan. Our extensive adoption search in full swing. We had no idea that within weeks our Anna would join the family.
Just last week as James and I chatted on our way to sleepy land we mentioned how nice it was that I hadn't cried about missing our "baby" in almost a year. Nice is an understatement. The year has been filled with countless miracles. Thinking of it always brings huge tears to my eyes, tears of heartache for Rachel Mommy that she does not get to have daily contact with our shared daughter and tears of gratitude that Anna is home....

I didn't get this posted the day I started it, but I will continue now- Thanksgiving night.
Since this post I had yet another chance to visit with Rachel Mommy, and was again reminded of our deep love for her. We chuckled about our adoption journey- the ups and downs and the blessing it has been to allow us in to one another's worlds. We shared our gratitude with one another that although the legal road has been long, our little Anna has been completely sheltered from all of that, and is completely oblivious! She knows that the judge has some papers to sign, but figure that is his issue=) Her gratitude Turkey at school stated that she was grateful for..."Being adopted". In her little heart the papers are signed and all is complete, our hearts are there as well. However, as adults we (Rachel, James and myself) are anxious for the legal paperwork to follow suit.

Since we have started our Anna adoption we have been fortunate to speak to several new groups of prospective adoptive families. We were able to share part of journey with them and answer questions they might have about the process. This last class I made up some collages. I'll post a few here just for fun.

I hope that your day of Thanks brought such sweet memories and moments to the top of your mind. We are grateful beyond expression for especially the "Anna miracles" we have witnessed first hand since last Thanksgiving!





3 comments:

Frankman's said...

We missed you this Thanksgiving, especially on our tree hunt. We love you and are grateful for the Anna miracles as well!!

tzennibah said...

I am grateful for your little family also. I love you guys.

Marc and Megan said...

Thank you for the comment you left on our blog. Marc was especially excited to see a note from family! It sounds like you have your own incredible adoption journey... it'll be good to keep up with your story. Thank you, again, for sharing your love and support with us!